If you are a new volunteer and do not have prior experience preparing client tax returns, you may join our VITA volunteer program as a virtual tax volunteer. VITA is the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance grant program which is an Internal Revenue Service initiative designed to support free tax preparation service. You will need to complete a series of online training videos and take a certification test to become a VITA volunteer.
Follow these steps to start the VITA Certification:
- Review the directions for Certifications, Link & Learn and Practice Lab
- The following resource guides will assist you in the practice lab and certification
- 4012 Volunteer Resource Guide
- 4491 Volunteer Training Guide
- 6744 Test booklet
- You may access the practice lab and certification from this link. You will need to create a personal log in and password
- After you complete the certification process, please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a PDF copy of your VITA certification.